[802SEC] 802.15.3 Revision PAR and CSD

Hi All-

Attached is a PAR and CSD for a Revision to 802.15.3 for consideration at the July Plenary

Background:

During the approval process in Berlin for the High Rate Close Proximity (HRCP) amendment to 15.3, we received a comment from Bob Grow observing that, depending on when this amendment completed, it would be the third or forth amendment to 15.3. If the latter, it would be rejected by RevCom without first having completed a Revision to the Standard. Bob suggested we develop a Revision plan to deal with the situation.

We responded:
The plan is to open a 15.3 Revision PAR in July and proceed with the Revision right away completing it before either amendment [3d and 3e]. We would include the scope and purpose fixes that are currently in the [now approved] 15.3e PAR so those do not get lost and we would update the 15.3d PAR so everything is consistent.  The revision will also change the standard from one using 64 bit MAC addresses to one using 48 bit MAC addresses, which is needed for full O&A compatibility.  That is currently being addressed at the amendment level so this would be much simpler and cleaner.  IEEE SA has agreed to provide an edition by May 2015 [done] which will serve as the basis for the Revision
As per our plan, this Revision PAR is intended to roll-up 15.3b and 15.3c and convert the Standard from one using 64bit MAC addresses to one using 48bit MAC addresses. Technically we are not introducing new functionality, but the fact we are proposing changing the standard from one which is incompatible with 802 to one where it becomes 802 compatible can be considered as "new" which is why we are following the usual PAR process which includes a CSD even though it does not quite fit the process. The scope and purpose in this PAR are word for word what was in the 15.3e PAR for the base standard in sections 5.2a and 5.4 respectively. Those were already approved by the EC in Berlin and later by NesCom.  I am pointing that out since this is an example where there is little point in commenting on that already approved material during the Revision PAR review process. Reason being, even if it were changed, it would change back when 3e completed.

The only thing that is different is the Title.  In keeping with the general Title clean-up and simplification program across all of the 802.15 Standards as the opportunity affords, the title has been changed to  "Standard for High Data Rate Wireless Networks" to be parallel in structure to the Title for 15.4 which is now "Standard for Low Data Rate Wireless Networks"

Regards

Bob

Bob Heile, Ph.D

Director of Standards, Wi-SUN Alliance
Chair, IEEE 802.15 Working Group on Wireless Specialty Networks
Chair IEEE 2030.5 Working Group for Smart Energy Profile 2
Co-Chair IEEE P2030 Task Force 3 on Smartgrid Communications

11 Robert Toner Blvd, Suite 5-301
North Attleboro, MA  02763   USA
Mobile: +1-781-929-4832
email:   bheile@ieee.org