USB -well, sort of.  More than one connector and whatever problems there are are not country specific.
802.3 PoE - One connector, one standard world-wide
Geoff

On Jan 6, 2020, at 10:55 AMPST, George Zimmerman <george@CMEPHYCONSULTING.COM> wrote:

Paul – I support your stance as well.  An example where allowing national standard variation would be in 802.3 power over ethernet standards.  When it comes to power, nations, states and even cities often want their own flavors – having country-specific variation in the adoption of 802.3 power over ethernet would likely create errors and destroy the value of an international interoperable standard

From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List ***** <STDS-802-SEC@ieee.org> On Behalf Of Geoff Thompson
Sent: Monday, January 06, 2020 10:36 AM
To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802SEC] Fw: National Body Adoption of IEEE standards

Paul-

802.3 has already been through the mill a couple of times on this.
Once turned out OK because the country difference (France 120Ω cabling) was dealt with in an Annex (informative) that was processed by the normal 802.3 balloting process.
The other was whether the standard facilities cabling for 802.3 would be 2-pair or 4-pair.  This battle was fought outside of 802.3 where Germany wanted to perpetuate 2-pair cabling.  They managed to get that option included in international facilities cabling standards and has come back to bite us in subtle ways ever since.

As a result, I support your stance with Yvette.  I believe is that we (802) wish to promote world-wide standards, free trade and products, therefore we wish to limit country specific variations.  Where country specific variation are needed they should be developed in 802 and subject to the same socialization, scrutiny and consensus process as the base standard.

Best regards,

                Geoff