Re: [802SEC] Madrid Marriott

Hi Guido,
  This is not that dissimilar to our past in person meetings.
When a room gets full, no more can enter.
While in the past, we may have gotten away with sitting on the floor (even though it is against fire code and not allowed).
or we have had people drag chairs from adjacent rooms (The hotel does not allow that either).
While we are observing social distancing requirements, that will not be tolerated.
The Chair will be placed and we should not move them.
If a room is at capacity, It does not matter if it is during pandemic time or not, the room is full.
The respective leadership will need to find a larger room to accommodate.  If you have a group that consistently has had 20 people and for some topic the number surges to 200, just as before, it would have to be accommodated on a as possible basis.

Yes, your point is well taken, but it is no different from past experience and practice.
Jon

Jon Rosdahl                             Engineer, Senior Staff
IEEE 802 Executive Secretary   Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.
office: 801-492-4023                  10871 North 5750 West
cell:   801-376-6435                   Highland, UT 84003

A Job is only necessary to eat!

A Family is necessary to be happy!!

On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 2:54 PM Dr. Guido R. Hiertz <hiertz@ieee.org> wrote:
Dear Jon, Dear all,

On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 4:55 PM Jon Rosdahl <jrosdahl@ieee.org> wrote:
> Yesterday, Dawn and I shared the plan from Madrid Marriott to meet
> Pandemic protocols for holding meetings. This explains the various
> changes that would be done to meet requirements to social distance
> and to keep the meeting space clean.

thank you very much for sharing this document. Unfortunately, I wasn't
able to attend yesterday's call. When reviewing the information, I
noticed the picture of an example "class room" setup on page 11. In
the past in IEEE 802.11, it happened several times that certain
discussions or presentations attracted many participants to "smaller
TGs" resp. to TGs that normally do not observe a high number of
participants (in this e-mail, I summarize SGs, TIGs, SCs etc. under
the term TG).

While collecting more information *might* help WGs to better predict
the number of seats necessary for a specific session, I can imagine
that also in the future certain motions or topics will continue to
spontaneously attract participants to join a TG meeting. Let's assume
IEEE 802.42 TGzz meets in a room providing seats for 30 participants.
At the beginning of the meeting, 23 participants are present. Because
of some discussion, 29 more participants intend to join the meeting
some 45 min after the beginning of the session. How would we handle
this situation? If such a situation occurred in the past, hotel staff
would bring in extra seats. Now, because of hygiene rules, however, no
more than thirty participants may be allowed in this example room.
Does that mean the TGzz chair should/shall prohibit further
participants from entering the room once the permitted capacity has
been exceeded? Does a TG chair have the authority to do so? In the
example, if a total of 52 participants are interested to attend a
session scheduled for 30, does that mean that important motions
shall/should/will be postponed to the WG plenary since only this
session will have the capacity allowing all interested members to
participate in the motion?

Regarding this example I am not speaking in favor of any rule.
However, I believe it'll be important that we have a rule in place as
I assume it is likely that situations may occur when the number of our
members intending to participate in a session exceeds a meeting room's
capacity.

Best regards,

Guido