Re: [802SEC] Madrid Marriott

Dear Geoff, Dear Jon, Dear all,

thank you very much for your e-mails.

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 12:01 AM Geoff Thompson wrote:
> I have two possible solutions.
>
> 1. Have a large vacant room on standby so that a meeting
> can be moved on short notice to a larger room.

It remains to be seen if such a vacant room would be available.

> 2. Have things set up network-wise so that a 2nd (overflow)
> room can be hot-linked (i.e. "Zoom-ed") to the main room on
> short notice.

This is an interesting idea. This also requires one or more extra
rooms being available. Furthermore, we would need to ensure that
electronic attendance is prohibited from outside the conference
network.

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 8:38 PM Jon Rosdahl wrote:
> This is not that dissimilar to our past in person meetings.
> When a room gets full, no more can enter. While in the past,
> we may have gotten away with sitting on the floor (even
> though it is against fire code and not allowed).

Thank you very much for your reminder. Indeed, at past meetings you
consistently brought to everybody's attention that sitting on the
floor is not permitted.

> or we have had people drag chairs from adjacent rooms (The
> hotel does not allow that either).

At past meetings, I often observed this to occur.

> While we are observing social distancing requirements,
> that will not be tolerated.

I fully agree.

> The Chair will be placed and we should not move them.
> If a room is at capacity, It does not matter if it is during
> pandemic time or not, the room is full.

Thanks a lot! Once we know that we'll be meeting face-to-face again, I
would kindly ask the EC to please remind all IEEE 802 chairs to follow
this practice. To me, it's important that such a ruling is
consistently applied. At present, I would argue that many IEEE 802
chairs are not aware of their responsibility to enforce such a ruling
resp. potentially denying our members to enter a room. Furthermore,
also our membership will need to know about such rules. Then, applying
a first come, first serve strategy with respect to a meeting room's
capacity will be followed. However, if such rules come as surprise to
our members I see a risk of lengthy debates and unacceptable behavior
during meetings. Maybe, we should even think about strongly
discouraging (prohibiting?) "session hopping."

> The respective leadership will need to find a larger room
> to accommodate.  If you have a group that consistently
> has had 20 people and for some topic the number surges
> to 200, just as before, it would have to be accommodated
> on a as possible basis.

I fully understand. However, it's not so much the extremes that seem
worrying. There might be surges on smaller scales. E.g., page 11 of
the Marriott brochure shows 12 seats in a meeting room. What if 23
participants want to attend? Under the new hygiene rules this must not
be tolerated. However, being used to how it was handled in the past, I
see risks of huge disappointments and controversies.

> Yes, your point is well taken, but it is no different from past
> experience and practice.

Okay, thanks!

All the best and best regards,

Guido