From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List ***** <STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG> On Behalf Of Paul Nikolich
Sent: Thursday, July 1, 2021 8:41 AM
To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802SEC] Action Item: 802 Mission and Purpose

Roger,

Thank you for the background and status update on the 802 LMSC Mission/Purpose action item.

The alternative mission/purpose text you and Geoff have crafted looks good (copied below).  I am interested to hear what our 802 EC colleagues think.

Regards,

--Paul

Consequently, Marks and Thompson propose the following alternative mission/purpose text:

IEEE 802 develops and maintain standards specifying data link layer and physical layer protocols to support packet transmission and delivery among network-layer clients. (1) Protocols, developed by Working Groups responsible for medium access control, are specified for transmission of frames within an access domain with sufficient detail to allow multivendor interoperability across the interfaces to the communication medium.

(2) Interoperability is also specified for transmission of frames via a network of such access domains, including bridging.

Supplementary specifications detail related functionality, including control, management, discovery, synchronization, security, channel coexistence, and power distribution. Supporting outputs include future-looking documentation, standards body interactions, and regulatory contributions.