From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List ***** <STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG> On Behalf Of George Zimmerman
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2021 3:38 PM
To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802SEC] Mixed Mode Meeting Ad Hoc information - 27 July 2021, 1600-1700 ET

Steve – I think it is much more important to figure out what a meeting looks like before we start counting money.  The expenses are going to fall out of it, and, for the near term, the contracts are contracts, and they will drive a lot of the expense.  I have great confidence that Mr. Rosdahl and Face-to-Face will work with the model based on who shows up to manage expense. In order to plan, however, we need to know what a viable meeting looks like. We’re asking for functionality here.  When we know that we can start planning expenses.  Everyone seems to want to talk about what it costs before we decide if we need a bicycle, a car, or an airplane…

Regarding models and how many people show up, I think we can make a safe assumption that you have a reasonable number of people there.  Enough that you get a core group in a meeting room.  That way, we don’t need to dither with models.  Therefore, I suggest we start with a minimum quantum of people showing up.  Assume there’s a reasonable number.  Say 30% attendance (at our current virtual attendance, that would be 300 people on site).  We can argue forever about a 20% threshold or a 50% threshold or even higher, but I think we can agree that frankly you don’t have a real ‘in-person meeting track’ if you only have 5 or 10% showing up.  Small numbers mean basically you have a co-located group participating in a virtual meeting.  Not something we need to plan extra infrastructure for.  If necessary they might be able to do it via hotel wi-fi.

So, given reasonable numbers of people, you’re going to have meeting rooms with more than a few folks in it.  My bet would be at least some of those people would be presenting, and some would be active in debate.  Fairness says you need to allow remote people to present and participate in debate as well.  The principle doesn’t change if you swing the percentages either side of 50%.  Even if only 10% of the people CAN’T come due to pandemic, fairness suggests we accommodate that.  Note that I’m not talking about ‘choosing not to come’.  The reality is that right now and for the foreseeable future there will be a reasonable percentage of people unable to travel because governmental restrictions mean they either CAN’T or would have to sacrifice multiple weeks of their lives for one week of meeting.  Therefore, in the near-term, we need to plan to handle even small numbers of remote attendees with fairness, and it drives the meeting model & practices.  Those practices will drive the equipment, support, venue and network needs.

At the point we have such a meeting model, our meeting planning staff can figure out the most cost effective way to handle it and propose fee structures to the EC considering the total expense of the meeting.  I expect this will end up being different than just a virtual meeting or just a face-to-face meeting – but we need to figure out WHAT we need to do first.

-george