[802SEC] Results of IEEE 802 Future meeting vision ad hoc meeting on 14 Oct 2021

G’day all

Thank you for those (all bcc’ed) who attended today’s IEEE 802 Future meeting vision ad hoc. The agenda a notes from today’s meeting are in ec-21-0227-04.

Given we have at least one more submission in the hopper (from Ben Rolfe), I propose we have another one hour session in  two weeks’ time, but one hour later to avoid clashing again with 802.18 WG. I will send the invitation shortly.

The short term goal of these discussions is to focus on:

  • What aspects of remote operation have worked during COVID?
    • Highlight real examples
    • Identify why remote operation was successful in these cases
  • What aspects of remote operation have NOT worked during COVID?
    • Highlight real examples
    • Identify why remote operation was NOT successful in these cases
  • What could be done to turn these failures into successes?
    • Describe some real turnaround examples (if any)
    • … or hypothesise about how this could be done

Submissions are requested. It is easy to criticise, and so if you highlight remote-only has not worked for some activity, please put some real effort into proposing a way to fix the identified issue(s). Also please focus on actual examples rather than strawmen. So far we have had submissions from:

  • George Zimmerman: ec-21-0237-00
    • Presented on 14 Oct 2021
    • George, do you want to do a follow up based on discussion?
  • Ben Rolfe ec-21-0238-00
    • Scheduled for 28 Oct 2021

Would anyone else like to volunteer to present their experiences?

I would like to undertake more discussion off line, and to this end I will consult with the IEEE 802 EC leadership on how they would like to do this, in a manner that is open and yet does not fill the IEEE 802 EC reflector.

Andrew Myles

Manager, Cisco Standards

http://www.cisco.com/web/europe/images/email/signature/logo05.jpg

Andrew Myles