Re: [802SEC] +++ ECM (early close) +++ ballot on Liaison to ISO/IEC JTC1/SC6 Re: PWI for Deterministic Wireless Industrial Network Ballot opens 2022-01-25

Dorothy, and all –

Usually a sentence like the original one is intended when IEEE 802 wants to push back strongly against propagating a conflicting or confusing external standard, in favor of referencing or working within the 802 standards family.  At least I read them in that regard, and tend to agree.  The industrial application space is rife with standards (a colleague I work with at Fieldcomm group constantly states – there are so many to choose from, there seems to be one for everybody).  I would go with the original wording, and think the changes suggested by Roger on this sentence, or deleting it, are more than purely editorial.

-george

From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List ***** <STDS-802-SEC@listserv.ieee.org> On Behalf Of Stanley, Dorothy
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2022 9:33 AM
To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802SEC] +++ ECM (early close) +++ ballot on Liaison to ISO/IEC JTC1/SC6 Re: PWI for Deterministic Wireless Industrial Network Ballot opens 2022-01-25

Roger, all,

Another option is to delete the problematic sentence, noting the current following sentence:

"IEEE 802 invites ISO/IEC JTC1/SC6/WG1 to provide a Liaison Statement to IEEE 802 that highlights its perspective on how the IEEE 802.3 and IEEE 802.11 standards can be improved to better meet industrial networking needs. We hope that this would then become the basis of ongoing collaboration. "

and the previous text effectively state what we intend in the problematic sentence, without saying so directly.

Dorothy

Dorothy Stanley

Hewlett Packard Enterprise

dorothy.stanley@hpe.com