Re: [802SEC] Loss of voting membership for failing to return ballots

Dear IEEE 802 EC,

Thank you for all the feedback, as the originator of these three items, please see my latest thoughts below.

Best regards,

  David

-----

[1] Removal of the restriction that abstaining, other than for 'lack of expertise', does not count as returning a ballot, allowing any abstain to now count.

Version 20 of 'IEEE 802 LMSC Working Group Policies and Procedures' https://mentor.ieee.org/802-ec/dcn/21/ec-21-0207-19-0PNP-ieee-802-lmsc-working-group-policies-and-procedures.pdf, dated 18 March 2021, and prior versions back to version 1 dated 16 July 2010 https://mentor.ieee.org/802-ec/dcn/21/ec-21-0207-01-0PNP-ieee-802-lmsc-working-group-policies-and-procedures.pdf, read:

Excepting recirculation letter ballots membership may be lost if two of the last three Working Group letter ballots are not returned, or are returned with an abstention for other than “lack of technical expertise.".

Version 21 of 'IEEE 802 LMSC Working Group Policies and Procedures' https://mentor.ieee.org/802-ec/dcn/21/ec-21-0207-21-0PNP-ieee-802-lmsc-working-group-policies-and-procedures.pdf dated 29 August 2021 up to the current version 23 https://mentor.ieee.org/802-ec/dcn/21/ec-21-0207-23-0PNP-ieee-802-lmsc-working-group-policies-and-procedures.pdf read:

A voting member that fails to return 2 of the last 3 Working Group Letter Ballot Series in which they are eligible to vote loses membership.

As a result, prior to 29 August 2021 not voting, or a vote of 'Abstain lack of time' would not count towards retaining voting rights. After that date, not voting would not count towards retaining voting rights, but a vote of 'Abstain lack of time' does count towards retaining voting rights. As I do not believe this change was deliberate, I still would like to restore the text that states that abstention for other than 'lack of technical expertise' does not count towards retaining voting rights.

[2] Interpretation of '... last 3 Working Group Letter Ballot Series in which they are eligible to vote ...' text.

Based on the feedback received I now don’t believe there is a need for a change.

[3] If a 'doomed voter' that has failed to respond to the last 2 Working Group Letter Ballot Series in which they are eligible to vote should lose their voting rights immediately.

I would personally be happy with the position that the Working Group Chair may choose if voting rights are removed at the 2-ballot or 3-ballot point, and I would choose the 3-ballot point as I do today. But as Bob notes, this can result, based on the rate at which Working Group Letter Ballot Series are completed, in voting rights being retained, meaning the individual can continue to vote in Working Group meetings and be added to Working Group balloting groups, for considerably longer than if the 2-ballot point was chosen. I would therefore not oppose a change to mandate the 2-ballot point by those that wish to see it.