Re: [802SEC] Maintenance PARs - 802.1Q and 802.1AS

Glenn,

Thanks your explanation (were I an EC member) would have gotten my approve vote.

I recognized 802.1AS-2020 as closer to becoming subject to the 3 year, 3 amendment rule and likely justified when considering the pipeline of amendments; but couldn’t envision a predictable timing issue for 802.1Q-2022 and its amendment pipeline with the 3 year part of the rule further out.  I didn’t guess the guess the motivation for an almost immediate new revision was a work around for IEEE SA rollup document sharing restrictions.

BTW, many years ago (when I was SASB Vice Chair), in a workshop, I suggested that thought should be given to publishing amendments as Editions.  (Remembering the precedent that 802.3u, 100 Mb/s Ethernet, was never separately published but only published as a roll up 1998 Edition.  The suggestion was also motivated by challenges of getting base text correct.  But, also recognizing that this might not be the right solution for all amendments, e.g., lots of inserts but few changes.)

—Bob