Re: stds-802-16: SYSREQ: Request for Content

[Notice: It is the policy of 802.16 to treat messages posted here as non-confidential.]

Hi Brian,

You probably caught everybody on an off day. Majority of the companies are
closed today. I saw the sketch drawn on the overhead briefly because during
that time I was in another room. I could also provide a diagram giving the
high level architecture. However, Margarete gets the first call as she has
already worked on it.

We as a team have to work on this in all earnest from April 5th. Let me
start with the name for the document. How if we call it as "LMDS system
architecture"

Chet

At 10:14 AM 4/2/99 -0800, you wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>Subject: SYSREQ: Request for Content
>
>So far, we have just an outline that the 802.N-WEST study group's "system
>requirements" task group developed.  We also do not have a document title, or
>text for the purpose/scope.  I would like to open our discussions first by
>submitting this outline and soliciting your input on the outline itself, and
>text for the title, scope and purpose.
>
>At the 802.N-WEST meeting in Austin, someone hand-drew sketches of a protocol
>layer stack and interface reference model.  It would be great if that person
>submitted a digital version of those diagrams to the list for discussion.
>
>Although we do not yet have a scope or purpose, I think it might help if I
>stated my opinion, which follows, and ask for your input.  At the Austin
>meeting, I think we agreed that the document should describe, in high-level
>terms, the system architecture, the features it should support, a reference
>model for external and internal interfaces, performance and capacity
>requirements, etc.  It should provide guidance for developing the 802.16 air
>interface standard, particularly, the MAC and PHY protocols.  But the guidance
>should not be so detailed that the system requirements are over-specified or
>result in a document that is too long, or too late.  And generally speaking,
>the system requirements describe the "what" part.  The "how" part should be
>left to the air interface standard that will encompass the MAC and PHY
>specifications.
>
>Also, of particular interest, in my humble opinion (IMHO), are:
>
>   -The service description: describe what targeted services the system
>    should offer
>
>   -Capacity requirements statements
>
>   -Performance goals; bps delivered to end customer
>
>   -External interfaces and reference model: diagram and interface
>    identification
>
>But feel free to submit text for any section of the outline.  Also welcome is
>text for any common minutiae with which you may have experience, such as
>glossary items, abbreviations, 802.1/2 conformance statements, layer
>management interface (LMI) issues, and Operations, Administration, Maintenance
>and Provisioning (OAM&P).
>
>Additionally, we have some examples of documents of similar scope. [If you
>have other examples, please feel free to post them to the list.]  I attached
>one of them to this message (thanks to Jim Mollenauer for providing them).
>One is from the 802.6 DQDB MAN.  It is very short (6 pages).  Another is from
>802.14 CATV access and can be found at
>http://www.walkingdog.com/catv/94-002.pdf.  That one is longer (36 pages).
>The third one, which is not attached due to copyright purposes, is from
>ETSI/BRAN: TR 101 177 V1.1.1 (1998-05) "Broadband Radio Access Networks
>(BRAN); Requirements and architectures for broadband fixed radio access
>networks (HIPERACCESS)."  But it is available for you to down-load from ETSI's
> [...]

Chet Shirali (E-mail: cshirali@speed-demon.com)
Product Manager
Phasecom, Inc.
20400 Stevens Creek Blvd, 8th floor, Cupertino, Ca 95014
Phone: (408) 777-7793
Fax: (408) 777-7787