stds-802-16: new file upload mechanism

I've been wanting to add a file upload feature to our site. So,
following some instigation earlier this week, I stayed up late,
learned a little about CGIs, and set one up. You can check it out at
<http://ieee802.org/16/upload.html>. The upload directories are on
our Qube server. Between meetings, Carl Bushue has been linking it to
the Internet, where I could get at it. You shouldn't have to know or
care which machine is being used, except that it will disappear a few
days before a meeting. The same technology will be usable at
meetings, which should make for easier document handling during the
session.

I've created separate upload directories for the Working Group and
the four Task Groups. This should make it easier to sort out the
documents, especially at the meetings. We can give someone from each
Task Group a password to manage the files (for instance, to delete
the obsolete ones). Please don't upload a document into two
directories; it's not necessary, and our space is limited.

The upload process runs from a web page and uses your PC's file
selection routine to choose the file; it's pretty easy. You will get
a confirmation that the transfer has been made. The upload page also
has links to the directories themselves; here you can see the files
that you uploaded and what else is there.

This upload process is not going to replace our formal document
contribution process. We still need to number, index, and archive any
contribution of lasting significance or that needs to be referenced.
Also, any material going into a draft needs to be submitted with a
cover sheet to give us protection on copyright and patent issues.

At the moment, I see the upload directories as being useful for files
of temporary value. Uploads will provide an alternative to attached
files, which are banned from our reflectors. The upload page has
simple instructions for uploading a file and copying its URL for
pasting into an email.

As time goes by, we'll see if what this facility is good for. Maybe
we'll use a version of it to submit contributions for archiving.

By the way, you'll see that I have also streamlined the web site by
limiting the front page to the key headings and moving the content
off to linked pages. This doesn't change the content, only the level
of detail on the front page. I think it's easier to understand. I'll
probably fool around a bit more before I settle on something.

Cheers,

Roger