Re: stds-802-16: BWIF and 802.16

Chet,

I just wanted to comment on this call from my perspective.

Before the Recirc #3a deadline, I personally contacted most of the
Disapprove voters who had not yet submitted a recirc ballot,
encouraging them to submit. You were on my list. Disapprove votes
with constructive comments are an important element in improving the
draft. However, without feedback from the voters, it's difficult to
know whether we are addressing their specific technical concerns.

Most of our 17 Disapprove voters were responsive to the spirit of the
recirculation. Eight changed their votes based on the new draft, and
two others cast new Disapprove votes with new technical comments for
us to work with. The remaining seven (Bruce Currivan, Keith Doucet,
George Fishel, Srinath Hosur, David Ribner, Menashe Shahar, and Chet
Shirali) did not participate in the recirculation.

[This is all in the voting report that I've just finished
<http://ieee802.org/16/tg1/ballots/ballot03/vote_report_3a.html>. The
approval ratio rose from 80% to 89.4%, well above the 75% needed to
pass. We have new comments to resolve, but I haven't finished the
comment report yet.]

As for our other discussions, the main point I wanted to make was
that people not involved in 802.16 sometimes fail to understand our
processes and documents. As a long-time member of 802.16, you are in
a good position to help educate your colleagues that have not been so
involved. For instance, those interested in an IP-centric MAC may not
realize that the 802.16 MAC we are finalizing is fully supportive of
IP and that our IP-centric 2-11 GHz projects are developing MAC
amendments to suit their needs. You might want to encourage your
colleagues to read the new merged TG3/TG4 MAC/PHY working document
<http://ieee802.org/16/tg3_4/80216ab-01_01.zip>; as you know,
nonmembers are welcome to comment in the Task Group Review.

Best regards,

Roger