Re: [STDS-802-11-TGAC] IEEE 802.11ac telecon

[MFischer]

It is the sort of note for which the commenter is asking: i.e. it clarifies just exactly how the MU PPDU exchange is supposed to work. The first question that most reader have when seeing the MU PPDU is - how do you keep the responders from colliding with each other? And the text above provides an explicit answer to that, rather than the inferred one that is the result of a dozen sleepless nights reading and re-reading all parts of the spec and then assembling the different parts in different orders in your head to finally connect the dots and come to the conclusion that is presented in the sentences above.

> - I still think "STA transmitting the MU PPDU" should be "AP"
[MFischer]

I do not know of any place in the spec that restricts MU PPDU transmission to an AP (even though I believe that most people believe that such a restriction exists)
And for the typical case, an AP is a STA, so there is nothing technically incorrect here

Maybe the group wants such a restriction and maybe it is there and I just cannot find it.

> - I still think the "No BlockAckRequest frame should be sent to a STA
> in the case where the A-MPDU to that STA contained no MPDUs requiring
> acknowledgement." needs a NOTE to explain why it's a "should" and not
> a "shall"
[MFischer]

Basically, nearly any sequence of frames is allowed and a STA could transmit an MU PPDU followed by BAR or followed by some non-MU PPDUs. A STA could transmit an MU PPDU and immediately follow it with BAR frames to unrelated STAs or for unrelated BA agreements, even if the MU PPDU contained no frames for acking.

A very large number of sequences is allowed and possible.
Thinking of it this way, maybe that sentence should simply be removed.

> - What's the "+mu-ppdu" attribute?
[MFischer]
It is a new attribute that is modeled on the +a-mpdu attribute
See annex G, compare to +a-mpdu

> - Why is txop-part-requiring-ack being modified rather than
> ht-txop-sequence or one of its children (or even adding a
> vht-txop-sequence)?

[MFischer]
It is very difficult to figure out just exactly what the allowable frame exchange sequences are from reading annex G, even though it is written with a "rigid" logical syntax - during the conference call, Simone Merlin suggested that rather than create a new exchange which again, seems too limited in its choices of what can really be done within a TXOP, what should really be allowed in the case of MU PPDU is that anywhere in Annex G that a "data-bearing or management bearing frame" exists in the entire set of allowable frame exchanges, the option for inserting +mu-ppdu should be added and I think that he is correct.

And it seems that if annex G has been correctly created, then somewhere in annex G, there should be ONE place that describes that fundamental thing embedded in a fundamental sequence that is a TXOP, with phrasing that logically says that anything that is a "blah-unit" can appear here, where "here" is that fundamental TXOP exchange to which can be added other things optional in front, such as preceding RTS/CTS or CTS2SELF, etc. and optional things behind, such as BAR+BA, ACK, more MPDUs, etc. and I think that txop-part-requiring-ack is pretty close to being the "blah-unit" and the cited exchange looks pretty close to being that fundamental txop exchange but maybe I've not read it correctly.

There should be a similar "blah-unit" for the no-ack case but I cannot find it. Once both of those are found, then they can be modified to allow +mu+ppdu, and then any fancy combination of frames that makes a single TXOP will allow the insertion of an MU PPDU and I hope that no other places would need the addition of +mu-ppdu.

But the more I look at annex G, the more I think it is a heaping plate of indigestible spaghetti and as anyone else tries to join the search and repair mission, I think that they will agree with my opinion and the more that annex G is examined in an open forum, the more likely someone is to stand up and move to make the entire annex informative again. I believe that everyone just allowed someone to write that text because they volunteered to do it and no one really looked at it too hard when it was done and I believe that it is probably missing a lot of things and duplicating a lot of things and I believe that no one really cares and I know that I do not really care, but I spent my personally created and imposed and policed two hour limit of honest effort looking into it and so I will not spend any more time on annex G, other than to present the couple of choices that I have created in the F2F in September, even though I believe that none of my choices is convincingly correc!
 t in my mind and if anyone else wants to try to figure it out, they are welcomed to do so - I gave it a shot.

As for allowable frame exchanges, I just figure that as long as a STA keeps using SIFS and the same AC, then it can continue to send DATA and control frames and management frames up to the limit of TXOPLimit and everything should be fine - and it can use PIFS too in the case of recovery - i.e. in my heart, I know which frame exchanges are right, because they feel right, morally.

Annex G is to me, an apocryphal addendum to the otherwise 802.11 holy writings and somewhere in a desert there must be a small radical gathering of adherents to a sect of the 802.11 religion of which I am not a member who believe that annex G is a part of the true writings of 802.11. At this point, I would prefer to let them reconcile their ancient document with the latest 802.11 advances.

> - The addition of the [1{}] in "[1{RTS CTS}]" appears to be something
> new and not something required for resolution of this comment per se.
> What is the justification for this change?
[MFischer]
On the call, Liwen mentioned that somehow, somewhere, there had been discussion and agreement and maybe even that draft text was written and exists somewhere that allows the sending of multiple RTS-CTS exchanges preceding an MU PPDU transmission and this should also appear in annex G. I think that he is right but I cannot cite any text.

> - "An ACK frame can be sent in response to an MPDU within an MU PPDU
> if the ack policy requires it."  I realise I supported this previously,
> but when can this happen, in fact?  I can see nothing in Table 8-284
> "A-MPDU contents in the data enabled immediate response context"
> which could result in such an outcome (all the possible MPDUs in
> such an A-MPDU either need no immediate acknowledgement or need a
> BlockAck as immediate acknowledgement)
[MFischer]

See 8.6.3, the new 11ac Table 8-288-A-MPDU contents in the VHT single MPDU context and then go look  up the rules on acknowledgement for VHT single MPDU.