Re: [STDS-802-11-TGAC] IEEE 802.11ac telecon

> > - I still don't see the point of "there is no more than one
> > immediate
> > response required for an A-MPDU, and further indicate" and think it
> > should be deleted
> It is the sort of note for which the commenter is asking:
> i.e. it clarifies just exactly how the MU PPDU exchange is
> supposed to work. The first question that most reader have
> when seeing the MU PPDU is - how do you keep the responders
> from colliding with each other? And the text above provides
> an explicit answer to that,

No, no, no.  The text above provides an answer to the question
"How do you keep an *A-MPDU* responder from sending more than one
immediate response?" which no-one has asked nor is likely to,
since it's not new to 11ac.  The next bit of text, namely "[ensure]
that there can only be one immediate response to an MU PPDU"
provides an answer to the question which people have asked,
namely "How do you keep *MU PPDU* responders from sending more
than one immediate response?".

> > - I still think "STA transmitting the MU PPDU" should be "AP"
> I do not know of any place in the spec that restricts MU PPDU
> transmission to an AP (even though I believe that most people
> believe that such a restriction exists)

How about 3.1:

downlink multi-user multiple input, multiple output (DL-MU-MIMO): A technique by which an access
point (AP) with more than one antenna simultaneously transmits a physical layer convergence procedure
(PLCP) protocol data unit (PPDU) to multiple receiving non-AP stations (STAs) over the same radio frequencies.

NOTE-802.11 supports only downlink (DL) MU-MIMO. See DL-MU-MIMO.

[Hm, I'm sure I had a comment saying the note was wrong, in that
802.11 also supports fragmentation and aggregation, for example.
But I can't find it now.  One for D4.0, I guess.]

> And for the typical case, an AP is a STA, so there is nothing
> technically incorrect here

Actually, an AP is always a STA, in IEEE 802.11, except when it
"contains" a STA, of course (one for TGmc).  The Figure shows
an AP, not a STA (that's the change you made in r1).

> > - I still think the "No BlockAckRequest frame should be
> sent to a STA
> > in the case where the A-MPDU to that STA contained no MPDUs
> requiring
> > acknowledgement." needs a NOTE to explain why it's a
> "should" and not
> > a "shall"
> Basically, nearly any sequence of frames is allowed and a STA
> could transmit an MU PPDU followed by BAR or followed by some
> non-MU PPDUs. A STA could transmit an MU PPDU and immediately
> follow it with BAR frames to unrelated STAs or for unrelated
> BA agreements, even if the MU PPDU contained no frames for acking.

Good, so let's have all this as a NOTE (except the bit about "to
unrelated STAs", since this is specifically about the case where
an A-MPDU to a given STA does not require immediate ack).

> A very large number of sequences is allowed and possible.
> Thinking of it this way, maybe that sentence should simply be removed.

I think it's important to point out that you might not get exactly one
BAR per non-AP STA minus one.

> > - What's the "+mu-ppdu" attribute?
> It is a new attribute that is modeled on the +a-mpdu attribute
> See annex G, compare to +a-mpdu

Can't see this in either D3.1 or your doc.

> [...]
> somewhere in annex G, there should be ONE place that
> describes that fundamental thing embedded in a fundamental
> sequence that is a TXOP, with phrasing that logically says
> that anything that is a "blah-unit" can appear here, where
> "here" is that fundamental TXOP exchange to which can be
> added other things optional in front, such as preceding
> RTS/CTS or CTS2SELF, etc. and optional things behind, such as
> BAR+BA, ACK, more MPDUs, etc. and I think that
> txop-part-requiring-ack is pretty close to being the
> "blah-unit" and the cited exchange looks pretty close to
> being that fundamental txop exchange but maybe I've not read
> it correctly.
> There should be a similar "blah-unit" for the no-ack case but
> I cannot find it. Once both of those are found, then they can
> be modified to allow +mu+ppdu, and then any fancy combination
> of frames that makes a single TXOP will allow the insertion
> of an MU PPDU and I hope that no other places would need the
> addition of +mu-ppdu.
> But the more I look at annex G, the more I think it is a
> heaping plate of indigestible spaghetti and as anyone else
> tries to join the search and repair mission, I think that
> they will agree with my opinion and the more that annex G is
> examined in an open forum, the more likely someone is to
> stand up and move to make the entire annex informative again.
> I believe that everyone just allowed someone to write that
> text because they volunteered to do it and no one really
> looked at it too hard when it was done and I believe that it
> is probably missing a lot of things and duplicating a lot of
> things and I believe that no one really cares and I know that
> I do not really care, but I spent my personally created and
> imposed and policed two hour limit of honest effort looking
> into it and so I will not spend any more time on annex G,
> other than to present the couple of choices that I have
> created in the F2F in September, even though I believe that
> none of my choices is convincingly correc!
>  t in my mind and if anyone else wants to try to figure it
> out, they are welcomed to do so - I gave it a shot.
> As for allowable frame exchanges, I just figure that as long
> as a STA keeps using SIFS and the same AC, then it can
> continue to send DATA and control frames and management
> frames up to the limit of TXOPLimit and everything should be
> fine - and it can use PIFS too in the case of recovery - i.e.
> in my heart, I know which frame exchanges are right, because
> they feel right, morally.
> Annex G is to me, an apocryphal addendum to the otherwise
> 802.11 holy writings and somewhere in a desert there must be
> a small radical gathering of adherents to a sect of the
> 802.11 religion of which I am not a member who believe that
> annex G is a part of the true writings of 802.11. At this
> point, I would prefer to let them reconcile their ancient
> document with the latest 802.11 advances.

I share your pain, but, if we're not going to make sure Annex G
is fixed for 11ac, we need to add something like:

    This annex is obsolete as regards VHT. Consequently this annex may be removed in a future revision of this standard. This
    clause is no longer maintained and may not be compatible with or describe all features of this standard.

> > - The addition of the [1{}] in "[1{RTS CTS}]" appears to be
> something
> > new and not something required for resolution of this
> comment per se.
> > What is the justification for this change?
> On the call, Liwen mentioned that somehow, somewhere, there
> had been discussion and agreement and maybe even that draft
> text was written and exists somewhere that allows the sending
> of multiple RTS-CTS exchanges preceding an MU PPDU
> transmission and this should also appear in annex G. I think
> that he is right but I cannot cite any text.

Well, if he is right, I think this important change should be addressed
explicitly via a relevant comment resolution, not buried in a comment
resolution about a different topic (MU PPDU acknowledgement).

> > - "An ACK frame can be sent in response to an MPDU within an MU PPDU
> > if the ack policy requires it."  I realise I supported this
> > previously,
> > but when can this happen, in fact?  I can see nothing in Table 8-284
> > "A-MPDU contents in the data enabled immediate response context"
> > which could result in such an outcome (all the possible MPDUs in
> > such an A-MPDU either need no immediate acknowledgement or need a
> > BlockAck as immediate acknowledgement)
> See 8.6.3, the new 11ac Table 8-288-A-MPDU contents in the
> VHT single MPDU context and then go look  up the rules on
> acknowledgement for VHT single MPDU.

Duh, of course!  I retract my retraction, and instead suggest the wording
be modified to:

    An ACK frame can be sent in response to an MU PPDU
    in the case where it contains a VHT single MPDU.

Mark

--
Mark RISON, Systems Architect, Wi-Fi    English/Esperanto/Francais
CSR, Cambridge Business Park            Tel: +44 1223  692000