Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBD] NGV 20MHz M/O support

From: ** STDS-802-11-TGbd -- Enhancements for Next Generation V2X.Task Group ** [mailto:STDS-802-11-TGBD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joseph Levy
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 2:07 PM
To: STDS-802-11-TGBD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBD] NGV 20MHz M/O support

Hi Joh, Friedbert, Rui, and All,

The discussion on if 20 MHz is mandatory or optional for NGV, is independent from the discussion of if 20 MHz will be allowed in specific regulatory regions for the following reasons:

1.      If the regulatory rules in a region do not allow 20 MHz operation, then the device will not enable 20 MHz operation, this is independent of if it can support 20 MHz operation.

2.      Cars do not necessarily stay in one regulatory region, hence a car may move between regulatory domains that ALLOW or do not ALLOW 20 MHz operation.

3.      Regulatory rules may change as technology develops – but hardware capabilities are permanent.[RR]  Well, don’t forget SDRs:^)))

4.      Making 20 MHz mandatory [RR] means that to be 802.11 conformant, a STA MUST support 20MHz operation, and remember, you do not have to be 802.11 conformant to get deployed in ITS!  It does not mean a STA must always transmit/receive 20 MHz – it only means it is capable of transmitting and receiving 20 MHz when it is allowed/configured by higher layers to do so.

The only reason in my view to make 20 MHz optional is to allow devices to be built as 10 MHz only devices.  Doing so may allow for a simple device to be built, but we already have such a device specified in the current 802.11 standard.  If we are going specify NGV STAs so that they have significant new features relative to the current specification, I think adding a 20 MHz PPDU compatible with the current 10 MHz PPDUs should be one of these features.  Therefore I think it should be mandatory.  Also, I don’t think adding such a 20 MHz PPDU would significantly increase the complexity of a NGV STA.

[RR] Again, making it mandatory ONLY affects 802.11 conformance. OBU and RSU manufacturers are free to choose what they build into their products.If they only want 10MHz channels, that’s all they’ll build.  The marketplace will decide whether all NGV modules have 20MHz modes, or there are some that don’t for some economic reason presumably.

Cheers,

RR

Regards,

Joseph