From: Harkins, Dan <daniel.harkins@xxxxxxx>
Sent: 2023217 5:11
To: Zhijie Yang (NSB) <zhijie.yang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; STDS-802-11-TGBH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBH] Next steps for TGbh (next call, Feb 21)

  I don't think I would characterize RRCM as simple. It's got quite a bit of extraneous stuff in it. Like the 128 bit seed which appears to be completely unnecessary. A 256-bit key and an HMAC-based KDF to produce a MAC address? That's overkill.

à<Jay>Agree with you, the equation in the proposed text is to provide a possible solution, not the final one. If you have a better equation, we can accommodate it into the proposed text.

I am sorry that I missed the straw polls on the last call (I was double booked and had to attend the other teleconference) but I definitely would not have voted for either of the RRCM variants. As an AP vendor I certainly would not like to be told to generate and store umpteen MAC addresses for each of the multitude of STAs that are associated to me. No thanks.

à<Jay> In my mind, there are two approaches for the MAC address generated, one is the statically generated—all the MAC addresses are generated and stored in the 4HS. Another is the dynamically generated, as you suggest in the previous offline discussion. In order to make it simple, we adopt statically solution in current proposed text. We can switch to dynamically solution in next round, in which both sides only keep two MAC addresses in the memory, e.g.   Once the MAC address is used, generate a new one and drop the old one.

Based on the above two possible refining direction, there will be NO parameter except the KDE header delivered in RRCM approach in the 4-way handshake.

  I've been questioning the attraction of any 11bh solution for a STA vendor (and I still feel that way) but if RRCM is the 11bh solution then I would also question the attraction for AP vendors as well. We would likely produce a standard that no one wants to implement.

à<Jay> I admit the current proposed text provides a roughly solution, and we can refine it in next around. hope the above explanation can address you concern.

  regards,

  Dan.

--

"the object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to

escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." – Marcus Aurelius