Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBH] Next steps for TGbh (Feb 21 and Feb 28 calls)

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. Here are my comments:

  1. I think “simple” is the idea behind the RRCM solution: STA and AP generate the same RMA(s) (instead of sending the actual RMA(s) between each other). It can be generating one RMA or multiple RMAs.
    This idea is like generating PMKID, where STA and AP generate the same PMKID (instead of sending the actual PMKID between each other).

- In RRCM, STA and AP use this formula to generate RMA(s):

RMAn = KDF-Hash-48(RMAK, "Next RMAs", seed || n),

Where

Seed (16 octets)- some random numbers for math purposes

n (2 octets) ? tells how many RMA(s) you want to generate, i.e. n=10 -> 10 RMA(s)

RMAK ? is a locally generated key at STA and AP

- In PMKID, STA and AP use this formula (depending on AKM) to generate PMKID:

PMKID = Truncate-128(HMAC-SHA-1/256/384 (PMK, “PMK Name” || AA || SPA)).

  1. I do not seed any 68 octecs KDE, 256 bit hash (Tag), 128 bit hash for every MAC address.
    All I see is sending seed (16 octets) and n (2 octets) between STA and AP so that STA and AP can generate one RMA (if n=1 is signaled) or multiple  RMAs (if n!=1).
    To be honest, we can even omit sending seed, and be left with just sending n (2 octets). Seed is just there for STA to control the RMA generation.
    In other words, just sending n(2 octets), STA and AP can generate 2^16 RMA(s) locally. These generated RMA(s) can be stored and used freely between STA and AP.
  2. Depending on the implementation, STA and AP may generate different RMAs (same procedure) or not (if all previous RMAs are not utilized) in each association.
  3. e-RRCM’s core idea is the same as RRCM, i.e. STA and AP generate the same RMA(s) for STA. Only difference is that e-RRCM sends an additional IE in some management frames (e.g. auth & assoc) for verification/identification purposes. This adds complexity (another key generation, MIC generation etc.) a bit but more guarantees the security perspective (replay attack, fake AP/STA etc). Here, one side validates the other side (i.e. STA validates AP, AP validates STA) because IE is sent in request and response frames.
    If bh does not want to address these security issues, it’s fine. But I guess people who want to implement these stuff might want to see these improvements too. This would increase the attractiveness of the solution.
  4. One drawback might be the storage problem, because both schemes (RRCM/e-RRCM) rely on storing RMA(s) at STA and AP side. However, considering that MAC address is just 48 bits, even though one side (e.g.) stores 100 RMA(s) for an ESS, it is just 48*100=4800 bits. For 10 ESS, it is 4800*10 = 48kbits, which is really low considering today’s high storage capacities.

We can clarify some of these open points in further meetings if necessary.

Thanks!

BR,

Okan