Re: [STDS-802-11] 802.11 Operations Manual comment re: teleconference notice period

Dorothy

I would like to share my opinion on this based on my work with the IEEE LMSC rules.

1) TAGs are unique in that they do not do standards work, (i.e., they don't have a PAR). In fact, a TAG meeting is not required to do a call for patents or to discuss the patent policy as there is no PAR.

2) The EC had a question last year about the minimum time to schedule a meeting (a teleconference, in fact). Based on our reading of the IEEE 802 LMSC Policies and Procedures (802 P&P), the requirement was 30 day notice. In addition, as later confirmed by AudCom, this rule cannot be suspended by the EC because the 802 P&P is approved by AudCom.

3) The IEEE 802 LMSC Working Group Policies and Procedures (802 WG P&P), "10. Meetings" states: "A WG meeting shall be announced, by a WG officer or designee, 30 calendar days in advance to all participants. An agenda shall be distributed at least 14 calendar days in advance of a meeting."

The 802 WG P&P, by virtue of the 802 OM, is the P&P for all WGs and TAGs in 802 and is in higher precedence than rules adopted by a WG or TAG.

When the EC asked for guidance on this issue last year, a reason given for the 30 day rule was that it is a requirement for openness in the standards development process. A short meeting announcement (even for a teleconference) could be seen as disadvantaging prospective participants.

4) Teleconference is only mentioned once in the 802 WG P&P, in "9.1 Approval of an action", in which it states "At a meeting (including teleconferences) where quorum has been established ...".

As there are no other references to meeting by teleconference or other electronic means, I would refer to the 802 P&P, "6.0 Meetings", which states "Sponsor meetings may be conducted either exclusively in-person or in-person with one or more participants contributing via electronic means, or exclusively via electronic means."

This implies that a WG teleconference is a meeting under the 802 WG P&P rules and hence, would require a minimum 30 day notice. Furthermore the minimum notice requirement cannot be waived or reduced by the WG. The WG could adopt a requirement for a longer notice (45 days, for example), but it cannot adopt a shorter one.

If a WG teleconference is not a WG meeting, then what is it? If it isn't, then would it be exempt from the requirement to present the patent policy, take minutes, etc.?

IMHO.

But, perhaps I have missed something.  I look forward to the discussion.

James Gilb
IEEE 802 Second Vice Chair