[STDS-802-16-MOBILE] Length of RS-CC code blocks

I have a basic question to do with how many symbols a RS-CC FEC code
block can be spread across for OFDM-256.  By my interpretation of the
spec, things are simple for the non-subchannelization case: you get one
RS-CC code block per symbol.  However, for the subchannelization case, I
find the spec somewhat contradictory:

- There is a sentence at the end of 8.3.3.2.1 (the RS-CC section) that I
interpret as meaning each that each allocation's RS-CC code blocks are
spread across just one symbol (just like the non-subchannelization
case): "The Uncoded Block Size and Coded Block size may be computed by
multiplying the values listed in Table 213 by the number of allocated
subchannels divided by 16."

- However, the "Example OFDM uplink RS-CC encoding" (8.3.3.5) seems to
contradict this.  8.3.3.5.2 ("Subchannelization (2 subchannels)") shows
an example where a single RS-CC code block is spread over 3 symbols.
8.3.3.5.3 ("Subchannelization (1 subchannel)") gives an example where
the RS-CC code block is spread over 5 symbols.  (Further, there are some
"strange" extra padding zero bits/bytes this example, not mentioned
earlier in the proper spec.)

I'd be very grateful to hear any views on this.

Thanks,
Patrick Fuller