RE: stds-802-16: Session #21 info

Roger

On the visa pages linked from your Meeting #21 web page, e.g.
http://www.mofat.go.kr/en/visa/e_visa.mof

1. Visitors who plan to stay in Korea for longer than 90 days must obtain
visas before entering Korea.

2. Nationals of those countries which have visa waiver agreement with Korea
can enter without visas, on the condition that they should not engage in
remunerative activities during their stay in Korea.
( Canadians can also enter the Republic of Korea without visas for a stay of
up to six months ).

It's possible that "tourists or visitors .. " could be defined as "should
not engage in remunerative activities ..." which might cover attendance at
conferences / conventions, especially at "tourist" resorts. The key is
probably that you are not trying to sell anything in Korea, or negotiate
contracts, or work (for payment) for anyone in Korea or be paid by anyone in
Korea. (This would be analogous to the interrogations which I sometimes
receive when entering the USA).

In my guess, visiting a tourist resort for one work to participate in a
technical conference (without being a paid or named speaker)  would not
constitute a "business" purpose. Conventions and conferences are typically
regarded as part of the "tourism" industry.

However, like you, I suggest that people talk to the Korean embassy /
consulate in there own country based on there own citizenship / nationality
/ situation.

David Trinkwon
Email : Trinkwon@compuserve.com
USA Tel : 650 245 5650            Fax : 650 649 2728
UK   Tel : +44 (0)7802 538315  Fax : +44 (0)20 7504 3586