changes to IEEE 802.16 reflectors

I'd like to update you on some changes in the IEEE 802.16 email reflectors.

The IEEE IT folks have decided to migrate their mailing lists from
MajorDomo to LISTSERV technology. They have moved most of the Working
Group lists, including ours, this week.

For the most part, you won't see much difference. However, there are
some changes.

(1) I have deleted some old Task Group reflectors that weren't
getting used for anything but spam. The archives of those lists
remain on-line. There are now two remaining lists:
        stds-802-16 (for general topics)
        stds-802-16-mobile (for TGe-specific topics)

I'm not sure we still need a separate stds-802-16-mobile list, but
we'll keep it around for now.

(2) You can manage your own subscription by a web interface. You need
to use this to subscribe or unsubscribe. There are also some new
management features that allow you to customize your subscription.
You can manage all of your IEEE LISTSERV lists at
<http://listserv.ieee.org/cgi-bin/wa>. If you want to directly access
the two 802.16 lists, use the following URLs:
        http://listserv.ieee.org/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=STDS-802-16
        http://listserv.ieee.org/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=STDS-802-16-MOBILE

(3) You need to begin your use of LISTSERV by setting up an account
and password. That's easy. However, you need to use, as your email
address, the same one you subscribed to the list; otherwise, LISTSERV
won't know which address to manage. If you are subscribed under
multiple email addresses, I think you need to set up multiple
LISTSERV accounts.

(4) I have updated the reflector info page
<http://ieee802.org/16/reflector.html>. It's still in flux, because
it refers to some non-802.16 reflectors that may not yet be on
LISTSERV.

(5) The LISTSERV web interface refers you to list archives. However,
you will not find any of these for the 802.16 reflectors, because we
are maintaining our archives using an existing, non-LISTSERV
mechanism. For links to the archives, see (4) above.

(6) I have been actively managing the reflectors to minimize spam and
virus assaults. Our filtering has worked pretty well, compared to
some other lists. However, LISTSERV works a bit differently, and I
can't guarantee that it will be as effective until I get some
experience in fine-tuning it. If you see junk mail coming from the
reflector, remember that I'll get it too and will work to suppress
it. Once we get the bugs out, I suspect that we will end up with
improved spam-resistance compared to our old setup. Note: some people
have been reporting junk mail from the reflector that was actually
from elsewhere with a spoofed address. There is nothing I can do
about that, I'm afraid.

Roger

--

Dr. Roger B. Marks  <mailto:marks@nist.gov> +1 303 497 3037
National Institute of Standards and Technology/Boulder, CO, USA