Re: [STDS-802-16] Fwd: 802.22 Letter to the WPC for 470 - 698 MHz Operation (India)

Mike,

I’m glad to hear that, as it fits directly with my main premise, that the spectrum not be technology specific.  I assume the letter has been modified appropriately to remove the 802.22 references.

Brian

From: Mike Lynch [mailto:freqmgr@SBCGLOBAL.NET]
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 12:59 PM
To: STDS-802-16@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-16] Fwd: 802.22 Letter to the WPC for 470 - 698 MHz Operation (India)

Brian and Reza,

Based on the discussion on yesterday’s conference call the letter is to lobby for more technology neutral spectrum and not touch on the licensed or unlicensed use. Administrations will implement these bands as they feel is best for their requirements.

While many 802 technologies are used in an unlicensed mode that is not always the case. For example in some administrations the use of 802.11 in the 2.4 GHz band requires users to have a license. So it doesn’t seem useful to label some 802 technologies as “unlicensed” only as that may imply that they should not be permitted where an administration require users to obtain a license.

Regards,

Mike