From: Timbs, Jeffrey L (Jeff) [mailto:timbs@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2001 6:04 AM
To: 'stds-802-17@xxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: [RPRWG] RPR Perf: Non-uniform distribution

Khaled et al:
I agree with Komal's suggestion below. I would like to see the behavior when
a large % of traffic goes "off-ring" through few (1 or 2) nodes. It has been
reported that pass-thru : add/drop traffic is higher than 80:20 due to the
long-distance nature of IP traffic. [Rodriguez-Moral et al, "Optical Data
Networking," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 18, No. 12, December
2000] A further implication is that most IP traffic is not terminated within
a MAN, leading to hot-nodes (or gateways) which are destinations of the
majority of traffic. Assuming that MAN rings are connected to backbone
networks via few (one or two) nodes, a high percentage of traffic will be
destined for these few nodes.

Some interesting points are that, of 100 "leading" websites, WorldCom could
carry traffic to up to 45 of them entirely on its own backbone while MCI
could reach 28 sites directly (Sprint, 18 sites).  Also, 35 of the sites
were multi-homed on the WorldCom backbone. [cf. OECD pub
DSTI/ICCP/TISP(98)7/FINAL via http://www.oecd.org/dsti/sti/it/cm/index.htm]

It's not clear that there would be a high degree of multi-homing within a
MAN ring (an economical factor driven by localized demand). For a high
degree of destination stripping distributed across many nodes, several
services would need to be offered at many sites (POPs). To me, there is a
current assumption that new service providers want to populate as few POPs
as possible, so that traffic must be carried to a centrallized site within a
region which also decreases the likelihood of uniform distribution.

For near-term introduction of RPRs, we should consider that this traffic
pattern may be more representative of a MAN RPR and should consider the
impact on performance (due to lower overall spatial reuse).

Jeff Timbs
Agere Systems, Inc.