Re: [RPRWG] RPR and 1+1 linear APS like configuration.

Kannan,

Speaking as myself and not the chair.

I think you are reading too much into the objectives, which is both
their power and weakness.

To me the ring protection and restoration in less than 50 msec
does not in any way require support for BLSR or UPSR especially
condsidering Ethernet PHY layers. What it means is that the
stations on the ring will do a protection switch (by means to
be defined by the group) in under 50 msec. How the group decides
to do this is up for discussion.

Support SONET/SDH phy layers does not require support for
1+1 linear protection, although clearly a ring with a span
missing ends up being a linear topology. To me, SONET/SDH phy layers
means that some carriers prefer SONET framing and the ability to
carry RPR channels through existing infrastructure they might have.
This does imply using SONET framers that can do the following

1) support for OC-Nc/STM-N/4c with POS framing since
this is both the most widely deployed / only standard for carrying
packets over SONET/SDH links (I seem to recall there is some other
way of doing it :) (forgive me I am on vacation).
2) Support for smaller channels around traditional SONET/SDH ring, but
the RPR layer operating independantly (mostly) of the SONET/SDH layer.

mike