RE: [RPRWG] Response to comments, Weighted Fairness, July meeting

Please run the simulation scenario as following:

Ring is as following:
			 0  1 2 3 4 5 6 7
                   15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8

Please have Node 0 sends traffic to node 1 and node 7
		Node 1 sends traffic to node 2 and node 7
		Node 2 sends traffic to node 3 and node 7
		Node 3 sends traffic to node 4 and node 7
		Node 4 sends traffic to node 5 and node 7
		Node 5 sends traffic to node 6 and node 7
		Node 6 sends traffic to node 7

This is a half ring

Do the same thing for the other half of the ring.
Please have Node 8 sends traffic to node 9 and node 15
		Node 9 sends traffic to node 10 and node 15
		Node 10 sends traffic to node 11 and node 15
		Node 11 sends traffic to node 12 and node 15
		Node 12 sends traffic to node 13 and node 15
		Node 13 sends traffic to node 14 and node 15
		Node 14 sends traffic to node 15

Then measure the throughput on each link. You will see that thoughput on
each link is not close to 100% because of the head of a line problem.

This a single simulation scenario. Many others can be constructed that are
very realistic.
Whenever you have traffic destined for more than one destination,
you will see head of the line blocking problem.

Head of line blocking can be explained very simply. In the ring if station 0
has two aggregate flows to send to station 2 and station 5. If the link
between station 4 and station 5 is congested, station 4 will send the
appropriate congestion avoidance/rate shaper parameter information to
station 0. This will slow or block the frames destined for station 5. When
frames destined for station 5 reach the head of the add queue, the frames
destined for station 2 will be slowed or blocked by the frame(s) destined
for station 5. This is head of line blocking.

Having more than one destination for traffic sourced from a single node is
very realistic scenario for career services. To name a few

Metro Transparent LAN services,
Peering sites and NAPs
etc.

Sanjay K. Agrawal