Re: [RPRWG] Response to comments, Weighted Fairness, July meeting

Hi Raj,

Sorry if this wasn't explained clearly enough in the slides, but here are the
answers to your questions:

1.  7 Nodes * 1.5G = 10.5G, but the links can only handle 10.
2.  Given that, all links will be congested on and off (perhaps the text was
misleading here)
3. The reason we singled out node 7 is because once node 7 gets congested, its
usg. message will slow ALL of the other nodes to match its rate.
4. We created this simulation as a generic version of lantern's scenario,
trying to create a more real-life case. We think that a ring with 2 hubs, one
sinking and one sourcing is more realistic and generic than lantern's single
hub pathological scenario.

So in normal SRP, when the downstream nodes (any of them) become congested
(due to the 10.5G>10G), they will throttle the upstream Hub node to 10G/7=
~1.4G. This will cause the upstream links to be under-utilized

With Weighted Fairness, you can give priority to the Hub node, allowing it to
send ~10G, thus fully utilizing all of the links.

Raj Sharma wrote:
> Hence at the meeting I did not understand what Auroranetics
> was trying to prove and wanted to pose some "real and common" problems that
> can be simulated.

Just to further clarify, this presentation was a specific rebuttal to
Lantern's previous slides, and this second case was just a generalized
version, which we believe is more likely to happen than Lantern's first simple
case. This was NOT a generic solution to every possible scenario.

As for the results adding random traffic, I can create some slides and mail
them out to you if you're interested, but the results were basically identical
to the graphs presented in the paper. Let me know if you want copies.

Regards,
--Carey