[RPRWG] Voting Members Vs IEEE SA Members - What is the difference?

I have been asked the question "What is the difference between IEEE-SA member and 802.17 voting member?" and thought it best to reply to the reflector so that everyone understands the distinction.

The process for creating an IEEE 802 standard includes the following major steps
    (1) Development of the Standard and writing it up as a draft,
    (2) Getting the Working Group to approve the draft by voting for it and resolving comments
    (3) Getting a separate review and vote by our sponsor, the IEEE LAN MAN Standards Committee, and resolving any of those outstanding comments
    (4) Having the IEEE Standards Board review the process to verify that procedures have been properly followed, and then approve the document for publication
    (5) Publishing the standard

All participants in 802.17 get to play a role in step 1.
All voting members of 802.17 get an opportunity to vote on the draft in Step 2

Step 3 is separate.  To participate in Step 3 one must become a member of the IEEE SA.  One can do this whether or not they are member of IEEE 802.17.  Note that Mike Takefman has posted a list of people that have already signed up to be given a chance to be on the sponsor ballot pool to review our standard during Step 3.  That list includes some, but not all IEEE 802.17 participants.  It includes 802.3 and 802.1 participants, and it includes people that do not participate at all in 802.  The constitution of this list is by design more inclusive than the 802 constituency to give the draft wide review.

There is one set of rules for being an 802.17 member, and therefore eligible to cast a ballot during step 2, and an entirely different set of rules for being eligible to vote during Sponsor ballot, Step 3.  The first set of rules are the ones that our working group has set up, based on IEEE 802 LMSC operating rules.  The second set of rules has been established by the IEEE, and therefore requires IEEE and IEEE SA membership (or alternately paying a fee large enough to enable one to become an IEEE member).

I hope this explanation is helpful.

Best regards,

Robert D. Love
President, Resilient Packet Ring Alliance
President, LAN Connect Consultants
7105 Leveret Circle     Raleigh, NC 27615
Phone: 919 848-6773       Mobile: 919 810-7816
email: rdlove@xxxxxxxx          Fax: 208 978-1187