RE: IEEE 802.19 Agenda for January

Adrian,

            Glad to hear that IEEE 802.19 is one of your priorities :)

            I guess there are several ways that 802.19 and 802.11n can work together on this topic.

First, let me clarify some terminology.  Different people use the term coexistence differently.  Generally speaking those of us within 802.19 (some of which came from 802.15.2) tend to refer to coexistence between dissimilar systems which are implementations of different standards.  Since 802.11n is a supplement to 802.11 and is actually part of the 802.11 standard, I personally would not refer to 802.11n coexistence with other 802.11 systems.  I think most of us in 802.19 would say that is a fundamental aspect of the 802.11 medium access control method (i.e. the MAC).  We would use the term coexistence when referring to sharing of a common frequency band with a system which implements a different standard (e.g. 802.11n and 802.15.3, if 802.11n was to utilize the 2.4 GHz ISM band).

One thing we could do is to modify the 802.19 agenda for Vancouver to include a one-hour discussion on 802.19 suggestions to 802.11n on what to include in its requirements document on coexistence.  We would likely include a similar session in March since my guess is that we would not agree on everything the first time.

Should I modify the agenda to include such a session?

Steve

Steve Shellhammer

Intel Corporation

(858) 391-4570