From: Welborn Matthew-r63015 [mailto:matt.welborn@freescale.com]
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 9:11 AM
To: STDS-802-15-4A@listserv.ieee.org
Cc: Shellhammer, Steve
Subject: Coexistence Assurance Document

Colleagues-

As part of the 802 standards process, our TG4a will have to produce a Coexistence Assurance document that provides an analysis of the coexistence between the standards we are developing (TG4a) and other 802 standards. This also is necessary to resolve ballot comments provided by 802.19.

I have volunteered to help create this document and wanted to give a brief update on the status.

As part of our process, we will have to provide analysis of other 802 standards that might be impacted by our new amendment to 802.15.4 (or 802.15.4b) . Our document will have two different sections (or perhaps two different documents): one for the UWB waveforms and one for the CSS waveforms.

For the UWB portion:

(1) The only 802 waveforms that I believe will be impacted by the TG4a UWB waveforms will be the 802.16a or 16.c waveforms at 3.4 - 3.6  GHz

(2) For the UWB waveform, there will be no overlap with 802.11a/b/g or with 802.15.3 or with 802.16 in the UNII bands (all of these will be out of band)

(3) Also, I believe the sub-GHz UWB waveform we have defined would have a nominal occupied band of about 250-750 MHz, so it would not interfere with the existing 802.15.4/4b waveforms at 815 or 915 MHz.

(If anyone knows of any other 802 waveforms that fall in 3.1-4.8 or 6 to 10.6 GHz, please let me know.)

I believe that we can therefore use a document very similar to the one that 15.4b prepared to analyze the impact of the TG4a UWB on 802.16. My initial approach will be to reuse the same document format and structure (since this document has already proven acceptable to 802.19), providing analysis and text for the 4a UWB waveforms. I hope to provide a draft of the text for the UWB portion of the document and a better outline of the analysis that will need to be performed. The analysis will be similar to that used for the 15.4b document (you can see details in the document linked below).

I think the picture is a bit different for the CSS waveform in 2.4 GHz ISM band. Here it would seem that analysis will have to be provided for the impact of the CSS waveform on 802.11b/g and 802.15.3 and 802.15.4 waveforms (are there any other 802 waveforms in 2.4 GHz ISM band).

I plan to rely on the CSS team to help ensure the analysis & text for the CSS portion of the CA document is complete (I realize that some text and analysis has already been provided in the first TG4a draft)

Best Regards,

Matt Welborn

And here is similar document that was prepared as part of the TG4b process:http://ieee802.org/19/pub/2005/15-05-0632-00-004b-coexistence-assurance-802-15-4b.doc