From: Frank Effenberger [mailto:feffenberger@HUAWEI.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 4:07 PM
To: STDS-802-3-10GEPON@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [8023-10GEPON] Example of why doing FEC after scrambling
needs careful analysis

Dear Brian,

As a counter-example of your counter-example, if the FEC code existed where
one of the parity bits depended only on the pad, then we would discard said
parity bit, because it carries zero information content.  QED.

Further, even if there exists a parity bit that depends on only one data
bit, since that data bit has been scrambled, the parity bit will also be
scrambled, and hence there is no problem.

In practice, any decent FEC code has the property that each bit in the
parity depends on many bits in the payload.  If it doesn't, then the code
error correcting capability will be negatively impacted, because the code
will be devolving to a 'repeat code.'  Repeat codes have horrible gain.

Honestly, this is really not a problem.  But you are certainly free to
analyze.

Regards,
Frank E.