Re: [8023-10GEPON] [POWER-BUDGET] 10G PIN sensitivity at ONU

Dear Dr. Lingle;

Thank you for your E-mail.

I have asked some colleagues, who are involved in XFP design and production,
about its receiver sensitivity.  They said that practical XFP receiver
sensitivities are distributed between -18dBm and -19dBm, and they cause
yield issues if you reject receivers with the sensitivity worse than -18dBm.
As additional WDM filter losses and other penalties are significant and
cannot be ignored, related items are listed in the table of 'Vender Summary',
ONU sensitivity should be considered worse than that of PIN-RX.
Some 1dB may be easily allocated for each WDM filter and penalty, but
piling up those worst-case numbers is destructive in the 29dB CH IL B++ case.
Total loss coordination in the ONU transceiver was therefore admitted as
the vendor's choice to make the sensitivity degradation together as small as
possible (within 1-2dB, I suppose).  I am not sure a detailed discussion about
loss and penalty has been done in each vendor, but I believe, with FEC, '-19dBm'
is the most likely and marginal number for ONU sensitivity at this moment,
and most of the vendors here have suggested the same.

I appreciate your further questions and comments.

Best regards
Hiroshi Hamano
Fujitsu Labs. Ltd.

%% "Lingle, Jr, Robert (Robert)" <rlingle@OFSOPTICS.COM>
%% [8023-10GEPON] [POWER-BUDGET] 10G PIN sensitivity at ONU
%% Fri, 11 May 2007 10:12:54 -0400