[8023-10GEPON] Coexistence clause

Dear Colleagues,

Now that we’ve all downloaded and thoroughly gone through D1.1, it’s time to start thinking about the coexistence clause/annex that we need to create.  Our editors have been kind enough to set aside Annex 91A for us, but at the moment, it is rather empty.  A good goal over the next three weeks would be to try and come to some sort of consensus on an initial outline.  This outline can then be submitted as a comment against Draft 1.1, and then we can get to work on filling in the rest of the text.

At this point in time, everything is wide open, so please feel free to offer up any ideas that you may have for this Annex.  I encourage everyone to use the reflector to submit and discuss ideas.  There have been a number of presentations and some very good diagrams presented to the group over the past year, and I think it would be good to reuse some of that material.  If anyone can remember certain slides or presentations that have good material, let us know.

Some potential ideas are as follows:

-          Wavelength allocation for coexistence with 1G EPON, video, and other PON technologies

-          Description on how to use combination of GMII and XGMII to support

-          Description on how to do upstream burst reception at different rates

-          Description on how to handle discovery of different ONUs

-          Other…

I’ll try to kick things off with an initial outline of the Annex that contains subclause headings and very brief descriptions of the text that may eventually go in there. I’ll put this together and send it out to the reflector this week.  Then I will collect and add all of the other ideas that are sent on the reflector.  Hopefully we can discuss this over the next few weeks and try to put something together for the comment deadline.

Eric Lynskey

Teknovus