Re: PMD discussion

[Date: 06/05/2000  From Seto]

Roy,

Thanks for your response.

In the previous history of Ethernet, 100BASE-FX benefited from using the
same PCS as 100BASE-TX.  Most of 100BASE-TX PHY LSIs out in the market
serve as 100BASE-FX PHY.  Also, many 1000BASE-T PHY LSIs, which does not
use 8B10B PCS, benefited from using same TBI i/f as 1000BASE-X.  For this
purpose, many 1000BASE-T PHYs have 10B8B capability internally.

I believe WAN PHY will also benefit from sharing the same PCS component
and interface with LAN PHY, and I think this is one of compelling reasons
that WAN PHY groups agreed to adopt UniPHY approach despite the 3%
inefficiency UniPHY PCS would introduce to WAN PHY.

Seto

> Seto,
>
> What you are saying is that it is only so that the WAN compatible PHY
could be standardized to use the same XAUI as the LAN only,
> Serial ONLY, PHY that the WIS was introduced, when the WAN compatible
PHY implementers will probably not even use XAUI?  How
> convoluted is that?  I thought, and perhaps quite a few other people
thought that the whole reason for the "UniPHY" was to have only
> ONE PHY, not two LAN only PHYs and one WAN compatible PHY with the WAN
compatible PHY being force to share the same PCS coding of
> only one of the LAN only PHYs, to the detriment of the WAN compatible
PHY.  If we are to have a "UniPHY" then it needs to be a
> single PCS for all PHY/PMD combinations, otherwise there is not "UniPHY".
>
> Thank you,
> Roy Bynum

Serial WAN
> >  PHY are UniPHYs in a way it can share the same XGMII and the optional
 XAUI
> > interface.  Before WIS is introduced, LAN PHY and WAN PHY could not
share
> > XAUI or XGMII because WAN PHY needed frame length information to
encode a
> > frame.
> > To all, please correct me if I'm wrong.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Seto
> >
> > > Roy,
> > >
> > > I have the same concern.
> > > CWDM uses a different code (8b/10b) than serial (64b/66b), the LAN-
PHY and