From serial PMD call, 8 May

For the record; my apologies for being late with these minutes.

Box level spec and double counting of receiver eye opening penalty
The draft standard and the link model, copying 1GE where PMD and PMA were
separate, defines the stressed receive sensitivity as 0.4 dB below the worst
Tx power less worst attenuation.  The 0.4 dB, "TP4 Eye Opening" is for the
PMA.
This time at 10G we think we are writing an equipment level standard so it
would be reasonable to test a combined PMD/PMA without that correction.
This consideration may affect the power for a receiver jitter tolerance
test.

Verification of optical power under OMA definition
OMA and triple trade off have the side-effect that relation between useful
signal strength an mean power is quite loose.  Measurements with power
meters are therefore of reduced use (but measurements with substitute or
reference receiver should still work).  No real progress on the issue - need
to hear from installers and maintainers.

Spectral width
--------------
Think actual RMS spectral widths (1310 serial) will be <0.2 nm.  Hope for
more info soon.

Is 1550 "dispersion penalty" misnamed?
--------------------------------------
It seems to be (eye + dispersion) penalty: perhaps transmitter-induced link
penalty or some such name?

Next meeting
Was held on 15 May.  There will be no meeting on 22 May.  Will likely
restart at the usual time on 29 May:
	15:15 GMT = 4:15 pm BST = 17:15 CET = 11:15 am EDT = 8:15 am PDT,
Tuesday (today)
	+1(816)650-0631  Access code 39209
Piers