SJTP: Minutes from 12-June conference call

All,

This was a short meeting. Attached are the minutes.

We discussed Tim Warland's proposal for a WAN jitter pattern
then talked a little about how to select an actual pattern.
It is clear that what we've provided is a mechanism to get a
set of patterns onto the fiber for both LAN and WAN. It is
crucial that we have input from the PMD experts to select the
appropriate seeds that will provide the required patterns.

To all of you PMD experts: Please attempt to join us for next
week's discussion.

  *  Conference Name:  SJTP
  *  Start Time:  01:00 PM EDT
  *  End Time:   2:30 PM
  *  PARTICIPANT CODE:  770794
  *  Toll Free Dial In Number:  (800)886-9041
  *  International Access/Caller Paid Dial In Number:  (865)525-3420

Thanks,
Ben

--
Benjamin Brown
AMCC

Conference call of the Serial Jitter Test Pattern ad-hoc
12-June-2001, 1:00pm EDT

Attendees:
  Ben Brown
  Jennifer Evans
  Don Alderrou
  Pat Thaler
  Gareth Edwards
  Tim Warland
  Tom Lindsay

Proposed Agenda:

Discuss the WAN pattern as proposed at the May meeting.

Continue putting in place the TBDs that will allow John Ewen
(and others?) to start looking for seeds to generate the
patterns.

WAN proposal locks down variables left from May meeting.

Use existing framer except for PRBS and CID.

RX PRBS is okay to get errors on switch to frame 1's SPE.

Proposed Annex 50A suggests the SPE alignment is such that
the PRBS directly follows the CID. This is to be verified.
If not correct, this has an impact on some of the features.
Tim Warland to do some more work in this area and update
the proposal.

Request to put O.172 and O.151 to the reflector so we have
all the references. Tim Warland will do this.

Disparity neutrality is managed by inerting the CIDs on
successive frames. Also, the full PRBS run should be
selected to provide neutral disparity. Is this a concern
since the SPE is scrambled again?

Purpose of CID is long stream of 0's and 1's. Closes the eye
or drifts the PLL. The interesting point is not the capture
of the CID directly but rather those bits after the CID. Error
checking directly after the CID must be included.

PRBS is reset for bit associated BERTs. 2 SONET frames cover
about 29% of the total PRBS.

Starting point can be modified but probably doesn't matter
given the large amount of the pattern covered. Exception
might be the exact starting point right after the CID.

PMD folks might want to provide the appropriate starting
point.

PMD should be the ones selecting the LAN patterns.

Mike Dudek (?) suggested there could be many seeds chosen
to provide the multiple patterns. The hardware supports
this but is it really technically required? Is it useful?

We need some strong support from the PMD folks.

John Ewen has done some tremendous work in this area. We need
to get his involvement in this process. Tom will specifically
call John to get info out before next week's meeting.

Thanks to all for attending!

Call ended at 1:35 EDT