AW: [802.3ae_Serial] Jitter experiments

Hi all,
Sorry for not being able to participate on the last call (I have a conflict
tomorrow too). However I want to give some interim info about tests on
jitter we did. We used a SDH test set for jitter based on the ITU
definitions. So we measured the  broadband jitter generation and tolerance
in the frequency domain between 4 and 80Mhz. However as concerning the
tolerance it is not likely that a system is more tolerant to jitter at
frequencies even higher above the PLL border the results may give some
understanding of the underlying principles.
We used commercial transponders as available on the market. We measured the
generation and tolerance w/o fiber to be free of influences of fiber effects
(Which may be traded off in the future) (TP2=TP3). The Jitter generation of
random jitter of the Transponder was at the measurement limit and smaller
than the jitter comming out of the Test set. (Which gives me the
understanding that all this was clock jitter that will be further reduced by
the PLL an the parallel stream. There was no visible DJ on the scope of the
transmitted signal. Under these conditions we observed a tolerance for a BER
of about 10 to -10 of a bit above 0.4 UI P-P sinus jitter, which was nearly
equal to total jitter as stated before, nearly constant for frequencies
above PLL border frequency. We will repeat those tests for other error rates
to get an understanding how the theoretical bathtub may look like (as we
used commercial modules we have no way to shift the sampling point through
the eye) and get an understanding about the penalty induced by which jitter
amplitude. It should be noted that the penalty in the measurement we did was
real big, and so I do not believe at al that if we have at 0.4 UI P-P (of
whatever waveform the jitter follows) a penalty that eats up a big part of
the budget we see the nominal sensitivity at 0.35 UI. (So this somewhat
confirms the measurements from Intel) I will come up with more dedicated
results.
Regards Juergen