RE: [10GBASE-CX4] Signal Detect - Proposed Text & Figures

Hi Dan,
A few points I'd like to clarify.
1. Missing definitions
	-On 15m IB cable, the signal will be sometimes well below 125mvpp
(instantaneously) hence there should be a low pass definition, in terms of
poles/zeroes or multipliers. My understanding is that the figure describes
the signal envelope rather than the signal itself -so one way to
	implement it is using an envelope detector.
	- There should be some tolerance given for the analog voltages -
analog designers may have a fit with this definition.

2. Questions
	Supposing that there is a CX4 signal at 50mvp2p envelope and the
receiver correctly decodes it
	(but it doesn't pass the proposed signal detect) - whould you want
the receiver to disregard its input ?
	-The IEEE XAUI standard does not define / use the signal detect
function - why should CX4 have it ?
	- You can add the comparators either directly to the input therby
increasing  the input capacitance and  degrading performance,
	or they can be added after the equalizer which probably will have a
gain and cause alot of headache to the designers.
	 As a result, not all XAUI chips will be CX4 compatible and will
require

3. Is the proposed Signal Detector really needed ?
	-The XAUI standard provides couple of data validity guard bands:
		-PCS SYNC machine checks for a certain pattern
		-Alignment machine checks for Alignment validity
		-PCS layer checks validity of framing and XAUI protocol
		-PCS produces IDLES as long as there is not a valid XAUI
frame
	These can be combined to yield an alternative "logical"  signal
detect.
	In this case we'll need to define in the conformance tests a
proceedure for ensuring that the receiver sensitivity is sufficient.

Thanks,
Ze'ev