Re: [802.3EEESG] On the topic of tranistion time (was Re: [802.3EEESG] Comments on our work from Vern Paxson)

Vern-

At 11:51 PM 7/1/2007 , Vern Paxson wrote:
> > It was PRECISELY my point that 802.1 AVB is not "designed for
> > general Internet use".
>
>Then it certainly makes sense to avoid transition outages when it's in use.
>
>Idon't know anything about 802.1 AVB.  At least naively, it seems there
>will be signaling involved, such that switches can tell when it's being
>used, and avoid transitions - is that right?
>
>                 Vern

That was my thought. AVB enabled switches will be able to tell when it is
being used. I envisioned that the "stream coming" signal would be more
likely to come from the application than the switch though.

There is a project that is part of AVB, P802.1Qat, Stream Reservation
Protocol to do this sort of thing for bandwidth reservation above the PHY
level..
See: http://www.ieee802.org/1/pages/802.1at.html

Geoff