MAC Layer Verus Link, why protect control messages -> was RE: [LinkSec] Notes from meeting 12/10/02

> From *this* observers standpoint, being naieve about the
> funkiness of the MAC-layer
>   control and management messages, I see it as simply
> extruding a generic security
>   transform (SDE) into the MAC-layer by rearranging the bits
> to fit, and tweaking
>   the key management to work "right".

But many 'funk MAC control and management messages' are not amenable to being protected.  The messages can be controlling the link set-up in ways that preceed the ability to send data.  There may also be no reason to protect these messages.