RE: [LinkSec] LinkSec 80-2.1AE Teleconference notes 9/16/03

The provider bridge issue was the fact that provider bridges were the
only scenario that (given a default minimum security mode for a given
MAC/PHY) the other end might legitimately try to negotiate a mode of
lower security than the default, since the other end might be a
different MAC/PHY with a default of lower security.

My proposal was that this sort of 'negotiating down' shouldn't be
allowed and the lesser device would be required to negotiate up. This
way a device would not need to try and distinguish between a legitimate
other end over a provider bridge and an attacker impersonating a
provider bridge in order to cause a negotiation to a lower security
level.

Rene suggested the opposite position, that the aspects of higher
security (like a longer PN or ICV) would be an undue imposition on lower
speed devices.

So it's either:
1) Allowing 'lower security' packets onto a higher speed network via a
provider bridge, enabling an attacker to attack it with a higher speed
PHY not assumed in the design of the packet format

Or

2) Not allowing the above and imposing greater throughput constraints on
already slow links.

This is an issue to resolve or avoid by stealth and cunning.

-----

The .10 thing (that I remember) came from my observation that .10
allowed MTU contraction where the service supports it and fragmentation
where it does not.

The counter argument was that the fragmentation in .10 was very general.

Having not read up on .10 (everything I know about .10 came from emails
by Norm and Russ) I had assumed the fragmentation was of a trivial type
(one extra frame max) and I wasn't expecting anything more would be
proposed.

So my position moved to the concept being just fine, but if .10 is not a
good instance of the idea (change MTU + frag if you have to) then lets
write good one.

DJ

David Johnston
Intel Corporation