Re: [STDS-802-11-TGM] REVmd LB232 comment resolutions - EDITOR ad hoc - 18/0657r0

Hi Emily –

Regarding the resolution for CID 1304:

I don’t believe there is a requirement to use PIFS to initiate a CAP, as any IFS which will allow the media to be gained will do.  There is a requirement that if the media is not regained at the end of the TXOP within a PIFS that the CAP is over, but this requirement does not apply to the initial gaining of the media. Hence, I think the error was the use of PIFS which should have simply been IFS.  Hence, I think the resolution should be:

REVISED at 162.36, change "an interframe space (PIFS)" to "an interframe space (IFS)".

But, after some additional thought I don’t understand why the detail of sensing the channel to be idle for an IFS is even necessary.  While it might be helpful to define when the CAP begins and when it ends, i.e. when the media is gained and when it is released, I think it will overly complicate the definition and doesn’t seem necessary.  Hence I propose that the definition should read:

controlled access phase (CAP): A time period during which the hybrid coordinator (HC) maintains control of the medium. It might span multiple consecutive transmission opportunities (TXOPs) and can contain polled TXOPs.

Regards,

Joseph