[STDS-802-16] Commentary 2.1 release

Dear 802.16 Participants,

I'd like to announce Commentary 2.1beta, a major new release. You are
welcome to use this application for all balloting and commenting
purposes within the IEEE 802.16 Working Group. In fact, it is
mandatory for future development work, including WG Letter Ballot #24.

The application is available here:
	http://dot16.org/Commentary

Commentary 2.1beta is dramatically improved with respect to the
previous version 1.55, which I released in April 2001. This tool has
played a central role in the progress and success of the Working
Group. However, many things have changed since 2001, and we need to
bring Commentary up to date. I have burned a lot of midnight oil on
version 2, and I expect it (with minor revisions) to last at least
another five years. There will be some transition effort required on
your part, but I think you'll see the benefits. Note that, since the
new file format is incompatible with that of 1.55, comments in the
old format will not be accepted when Commentary 2 format is
specified. You should still keep the 1.55 around to read the legacy
databases.

This version replaces in short-lived 2.0beta, which was released for
WG Letter Ballot #23. You can continue to use 2.0beta for that
purpose, but it won't be good for anything else. If you haven't
gotten started with your voting for LB#23, I suggest that you go
directly to 2.1beta. You can do so by downloading the new database here:
	http://ieee802.org/16/docs/06/80216-06_057r1.zip
This new database will work with 2.1beta, but not with 2.0beta.

No manual exists, but the application is simple to install, and the
operation is mostly self-explanatory. As before, the program is a
standalone application that runs under Windows and MacOS operating
systems without any special additional requirements.

Here are some new features:

*The user interface is completely revised for clarity and simplicity.
The screen views are divided into four "views", optimized for four
kinds of roles: Member, Group, Editor, and Chair. Each of these views
is available to everyone, since roles change.

*The user's data can be personalized and stored to a file. Later,
when running a version of the database distributed by the WG, you can
recall your stored data. You can check you membership status with a
window to a live web membership list. The program asks that comments
from members be accompanied by an 802.16 Member ID. This will be the
same ID number printed on your badge at 802 Plenaries. I have emailed
to each member tonight a reminder of your 802.16 Member ID. Let me
know if you are a Member and don't receive this.

*In the Member View, screen layouts are provided for generating
comments, generating reply comments, voting on comments (as in
LB#23), and submitting lists of comments that have been resolved
satisfactorily.

*Export of data for submittal is made much more explicit and strict.
This is intended to eliminate the submittal of input in an
inappropriate format. The system is not foolproof, but I think it
will virtually solve the problems we have had. Exported files are
automatically named. The application has the file extension "cmt",
but the exported data files are assigned specific extensions (cmtb,
cmtr, cmtv, and cmts) depending on their content.

*The Group view is optimized for comment resolution. It is similar to
what we have used before, but with improved clarity. It also includes
some enhancements; for example, searching by subclause number works
correctly ("10." comes after "9.").

*The Editor's view is also similar to what we have used before, but
improved. It's intended to aid the editor in implementing the
comments and making a record of what's been done and what remains
problematic.

*The Chair's view include some routines to easily import submitted
files. The TG Chairs will appreciate the ability to batch-import a
group of files (though a bit of manual intervention is required).
I've also added an import/export feature to provide compatibility
with the myBallot format used by IEEE-SA Sponsor Ballots. I will
therefore be moving our 802.16k Sponsor Ballot database to 2.1beta.

*The Chair's view allows the preparation of a ballot report that can
be printed (to PDF, provided that you have appropriate software). The
format and usability of this step are improved significantly.

*The Chair's view includes the ability to generate voting results
needed to compute the results of ballots of individual comments (as
in LB#23).

*The MacOS version runs under OSX and is a Universal application
running with all processors.

I have some further small improvements in mind. Upgrades to the
software will be available without the large download required for
2.1beta. In fact, when you upload a new ballot file, you will
automatically get the upgraded version. [Unfortunately, 2.0beta
cannot be upgraded, for technical reasons.]

I'll be looking forward to reports of problems or suggestions. I am
sure you will find some, but I hope none that is major. In any case,
let me know.

Regards,

Roger