Static Discharge

Hi,

My background is telephony.  I'm totally new to 802.3, so please excuse
my ignorance.
One thing that appears strange is the lack of an intentional discharge
path for the potential on the cable.
The only means that I have found is breakdown of the common mode
termination capacitors.
Are these caps with 2 kV rating intended to be leaky?

On POTS line interfaces the Tip lead is typically biased around ground
and serves as a discharge path to earth ground for Analog Sets.  Do the
IP Phones require a discharge path via the LAN?

Dieter Knollman
DMTS
Lucent
djhk@xxxxxxxxxx