Re: [LinkSec] linksec roadmap

A bit of history.

When the VLAN standard began, several people advocated the use of SDE
(802.10b) as the protocol.  Cisco wan the most vocal proponent.  There were
a whole bunch of people that were concerned that the encryption overhead
would be too great.  The initial response to this was to specify the
Identity encryption function.  In this case, the key identifier would
provide the VLAN identifier.

After a few months, the wind direction changed, and the VLAN proposal that
we all know was adopted.

The recently posted roadmap essentially proposes a return to the original
proposal.

Russ