Re: [LinkSec] linksec roadmap

Markus:

GULS is a significant part of the reason that the 802.10c key management
was never accepted.

There is significant misunderstanding about 802.10b SDE.  It is intended to
work in a bridge or in an end station.  This is similar to the way that
IPsec works in a router or in a host.  It resides at the top of the MAC
layer, and this placement prevents it from being used to protect
MAC-specific management messages.

<soapbox>
As explained in the SDE appendix, this is the only placement that allows
the encryption and authentication to work with multiple MACs.  It allows
encryption and authentication in a bridged environment between a station
connected to an Ethernet and another station connected to a Token Ring and
another station using a Wireless LAN.
<\soapbox>

Russ