Re: [LinkSec] Work in progress on a Security Architecture (one persons view)

At 01:16 PM 12/10/2002 -0500, Marcus Leech wrote:

>Not to trash Bob Moscovitz, but I think that when he did his presentation on
>   "A Needham-Schroeder Method" at the CFI in Hawaii, he was trying to hide
>   Kerberos in behind his talk.  802.10 Key Management looks like it already
>   has Kerberos in mind when it talks about KDCs.  I think it's important not
>   to get too far into a particular *solution* until we understand what the
>   problem is.
>
>It's important not to get too cozy with particular solutions at this stage
>   of the development.

rather what I was looking at was managing authentication state within a
dynamic network.  AAA talks about this and presents both models: where
state is maintained in the network or in the end device.  For a number of
reasons I perfer the model of state in the end device, and
Needham-Schroeder presents this well.  Probably too well.

I am working on a more architectual, less solution presentation.

Robert Moskowitz
Senior Technical Director
ICSA Labs
	(248) 968-9809
Fax:	(248) 968-2824
rgm@trusecure.com

There's no limit to what can be accomplished
if it doesn't matter who gets the credit